- New Pools
- Hot Tubs
Weather Related Tips
How to Avoid Pool Problems in Hot Weather
Following are some tips from the front lines (the pool cleaning crew):
Proper water chemistry
When the weather is hot like it currently is, water chemistry is critical. As a reminder, following are the proper parameters:
Test weekly during this hot weather
chlorine – 2.0 to 4.0ppm
pH – 7.2 to 7.6
cyanuric acid – 30 to 90ppm on chlorine pools
70 to 90ppm on salt pools
salt level in a salt pool –2700 to 3500 ppm
Test monthly or as needed
total alkalinity – 80 to 100 for calcium hypochlorite, salt pools, & liquid chlorine pools
100 to 120 for dichlor and trichlor pools
calcium hardness – 200 to 400 ppm
A few pointers concerning water chemistry from the front lines:
- Test your water at least once per week. We suggest testing the chlorine, pH, and cyanuric acid on a weekly basis. If you have a salt system, it is also a good idea to test the salt on a regular basis.
- You must use your test kit. We have employees who have been working on pools for over 20 years, and they must still test the water. There is no way that you can tell if the water chemistry is in the proper range by just looking at the water.
- Periodically bring one pint of your pool water to our retail store so that we can have it computer analyzed, which could prevent problems.
- Be sure to keep the chlorine on the high side—at least 2.0. Test it on a regular basis and do not let it fall below that level.
- Chlorine is much more effective when the pH is at 7.2 than it is at 7.6, so try to keep your pH in the lower half of the range (7.2 to 7.4).
- Be sure that your cyanuric acid is in the proper range. Cyanuric acid is considered the “sunblock” for the chlorine, and without cyanuric acid this time of year, you cannot operate a pool effectively. Cyanuric acid is also important if you have a salt system on your pool.
Having pool equipment that is operating properly is also very important when the weather is hot. Following are a few pointers concerning pool equipment from the front lines:
- Be sure that your main pump is operating at least 10-12 hours per day. This will vary depending on the pool, but the pump must operate in order for the pool water to remain clear. If you have a salt system, you might have to run the pump for even longer periods, as the salt system does not operate unless the pump is in operation.
- If you have a salt system, be sure that it is turned up to the level that is needed. Although all pools are different, we recommend that most salt systems be set to run at least 80%, if not 100%, during this hot weather. If you are unsure how to do this, check your operating instructions or give us a call and we will help you.
- Be sure to keep your filter backwashed (or cleaned).
- If you notice that something is not operating, give us a call at (940)891-0500 and we will make repairs as necessary.
Try to think ahead about what is coming up in the week ahead. Are you having a party coming up? Do you have a dog that swims? Is it forecast to rain? Asking questions like this can help assure that the pool stays clear and beautiful, and you avoid cloudy water and algae.
Ask The Pool Guy.....
200 YEARS of pool care experience at Gohlke Pools means we have seen it all. If you have questions about pool care, pool construction, renovation or repair, click here to ASK THE POOL GUY!
Down home genuine feel. Always feel like your staff is being honest and courteous with us. I like the face that your service technicians are nice to my dogs and are able to do their service and I don’t have to lock the dogs up in the house for the day. It may not sound like much but this is a really big deal to us. - Christine W.
Answered questions and gave honest advice. Also, Saturday service since that is the only day I can be there. - Dennis W.
The fellow who came to the house and showed me how to work the filters, pumps, etc. and let me do it hands on so I knew what to do myself. Very informative, friendly, and “pool knowledge” are not silly questions. They understand not everyone knows about pools. Very knowledgeable staff. I felt every employee, either in the store or those that came out to the house knew exactly what they were talking about. - JoAnn O.
Timely response, honest answers, and friendly service. A.W. was a great guy to work with . - Patricia B .
Matt Watson is friendly, caring , and prompt. - Gary & Carol P.
Genuine concern about my pool’s problem. Taking initiative to solve the problem and having authority to do so. Seems like a family unit more than a company only our for a profit. - Mary F.